Thursday, April 16, 2015

Week 10: Three of Diamonds

In my life as a teacher, I had the incredible opportunity to work with many students who have made a positive impact on me and changed my life forever.  I am grateful to have been given the chance to know these young people and am lucky that many of them have chosen to stay in touch!  It is a special pleasure to hear about the great things happening in their lives!

I covered the name of the former student who I sent a care package to.  None of my students are more or less deserving of a little cheer sent their way - and I wish I could do this for all of them, but presently it's not in the cards.  It was for one though and it was fun to shop for little trinkets and goodies that I thought may brighten their day.

The recipient is someone whose life experiences have been very different from my own.  The hurdles and obstacles they've addressed and overcome are staggering and I couldn't be prouder of the positive direction they're taking their life.  I frequently get calls with updates on the good and the bad, requests for advice, and often just to be a listening ear for them.  This student is on my mind as they juggle living independently, going to school, and working to support herself... something that would have been unimaginable to me at 19 or 20 (and is still something that is daunting to me as a woman in my early 30s)!

No comments:

Post a Comment